Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Don't listen to advice (including this)

Continuing my breathless series, Sage Advice for Successful Living! (and yes, joking, yes, indeed), I've just posted a newspaper column written by Mary Schmich in 1997, Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young.

Her words were later circulated in an internet hoax about Kurt Vonnegut (supposedly having given the commencement speech at MIT), and still later used - legitimately - by Baz Luhrmann for a song called "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)".

I like the text, so that's reason enough for posting it. But it also makes me wonder why so much advice is directed towards Yoooth, when it should be blindingly obvious to anybody who looks that it's actually middle-aged dodderers like myself who really need it. And no, I'm not talking about something like this:**

:)

Have a happy Tuesday, if you can manage it.


** New Yorker cartoon by Bruce Eric Kaplan, published 23 August 1999, available through The Cartoon Bank.