Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Comments

Lately some strange things have been happening with this blog’s comments. Specifically, there have been a lot of them.

First I need to tell you that my habitual reaction to good things happening is this: Why? How? Huh? Then I run away and cry. So recently, when lots of comments were coming in, and new commenters were appearing out of the blue, I chucked a wobbly. This might be an Australian or even a local or family term (not sure), but it means I got frightened and upset and wanted to hide somewhere. (Comments are my only indication that you’re out there; I don’t have a site meter - just don’t like the idea of them - and have no idea who or how many are reading this.) I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to do anything. Where were these people coming from? What did they want?

I’m not being such an idiot any more. I like your comments. They’re gifts. You’re sharing bits of yourself with the rest of us, and that’s something amazing.


The thing I’m having trouble with, though, is that comment counters, here and elsewhere, don’t make any sense. My favourite blogs are, some of them, getting very few comments at all. These are brainy, artistic, good-value blogs, but they're not being acknowledged by commenters. (NB. I’m not suggesting that comments are the purpose of blogging. All blogs are different. Maybe some bloggers don’t care for interaction with readers, and comments are of no interest to them.)

Why is this blog getting comments, while others are not? Obviously it has nothing to do with merit, or those meritorious blogs would be inundated. Perhaps it has something to do with a commenter feeling safe to contribute, knowing they’ll be acknowledged? (This is me being kind to myself; this is what I hope to offer you. I’m still trying to reign in my smartarse tendencies when responding to comments, but that’s a work in progress). Or maybe there’s been some sort of Cosmic Convergence of Kind Commenters, willing to offer something just because they can, and this blog is sitting mid-centre, being damn lucky? Those things are possibilities, of course. But I think the real answer to why people comment here is this: it’s cos I’m beautiful.**

Okay. I have no idea why you’re here, and now I really don’t want to know. It’s none of my business. I don’t care why you’re here. I’m just glad you are.



**A joke for my sister, J. Welcome back, darl.