Thursday, September 14, 2006

Randomness

I was eating a piece of cheese today and suddenly thought of Johanna Spyri's Heidi, a story I loved as a kid and which fixed some permanent links into my brain: I see goats, I think of Heidi; I hear wind in the trees, I think of Heidi; I see European mountains, I think of Heidi; I hear "grandfather", I think of Heidi...

Point is: I was eating a piece of cheese,** thought of Heidi, and wanted to find the relevant passage in the story. There wasn't time to do more than put the book aside to read later though, but on the way to doing that, I opened it to a random page while mentally commanding, "Show me the cheese!"

Would you believe...


Johanna Spyri. Heidi. London UK: Cathay Books, 1986, copyright 1881, ISBN: 0861784081, p.40. (click for a larger view)

True. And the book didn't open there because the page was dog-eared; I only folded the corner down afterwards.



** Local cheese from a local company: Norco Nimbin Natural. It's nice.