Friday, January 07, 2005

Weather

I don’t know how much of this is just me being an idiot and wanting to blame outside forces, or coincidence, or maybe it’s just my imagination, BUT (and isn’t there always a “but” in a sentence like that? Qualification, qualification, qualification... but what I really mean is...) a cool breeze came up today and now I’m happy again. The last few days were really hot and humid, and I’ve been lurching about, bawling in despair. But now that it’s cool, everything’s different. I used to think those old stories about people moving to other climates for their health were just stupid, but maybe there’s something in it. And really, why shouldn’t there be? We’re influenced by physiological factors, why not meteorological ones? It’s a fact of life in this family that several of us get migraines due to sudden changes in barometric pressure. So I don’t know why I’m surprised to find that sudden changes in temperature or humidity can tangle with our moods. It was just such a sudden, unmistakeable change today: feeling bad > cool breeze > feeling good. It's pitiful if I can be so easily influenced by factors beyond my control. But I’m happy at the moment, so don’t bloody care (wanders off, whistling).