Saturday, February 12, 2005

Some days are diamonds

I don’t have any kids; thinking about what I’m missing can sometimes lead to the boo-hoo-hoos.

And then again, sometimes it’s otherwise... Walking along the road this afternoon I passed a house. One of the children living there is about seven years old. I couldn’t see her but she was playing “Mary Had A Little Lamb” on the recorder: three notes, da da da da da-da-daa, da-da-daa, da-da-daa etc. I know this because I could hear her along the whole length of the road. At first I thought the sound was coming from something in distress. Then I chided myself for being mean: young child having fun, being creative, practising for school, etc. What’s not to like? That lasted for one or two rounds of the song. Then, over the ensuing rounds (say Rounds 3 to 503) I gradually started to feel a sense of wellbeing and contentment, walking further and further and further away.

By the time I turned into my gateway I was laughing out loud. Ah, yes. Ah, yes, yes, yes.