Thursday, February 03, 2005

AE 4 GP

I woke up in a mood this morning... Not unusual, I hate mornings, but it was “lives of quiet desperation” on constant loop before breakfast. It’s hot, it’s humid, and today’s task was to do a few hours mowing down the road - lots of trees, which are annoying to go around and under: leaves, sticks & spiders down the neck, etc. Plus thanks to ancient northern ancestors and hatred of sunscreen, I need to kit up in long-sleeves, long trousers, big stupid hat, gloves, the whole clammy sweaty business. I’ve got no right to whinge but that’s never stopped me before and I’m bloody gonna anyway, so bugger off now if you don’t want to read it.

This was the script: I hate mowing. I don’t give a shit about grass. What the hell am I doing here? What the hell am I doing here? The only thing separating me-in-this-stupid-life from me-in-a-different-life is me. What the hell am I doing here? I can’t bear it, I can’t bear it, I cannot fucking bear it...

You’ve got the drift, yes? This continued unabated for at least an hour.

It was hot. I’ve said that already, but it was hot. I came in here for breakfast, to sit in front of the computer where the fan is. Chomping away on Rice Bubbles, I turned the fan on, turned the computer on and started cleaning out a folder.

And found this:


Photo: Purdue University Library, Special Collections. Blatantly stolen. All rights reserved.

Amelia Earhart and George Palmer Putnam.
A woman with her head in the clouds and a man with his feet on the ground, after six years of marriage.

The joy of this image kept me going all day. Plus the fact I was pretending to be Ms Earhart, kissing dear George then flying a plane across the Pacific instead of driving a mower and wiping sweat from my eyes. Wish wish wish I was joking... (laughing).


Aren’t they just the biggest sweeties you’ve ever seen? My heroes.