Friday, December 16, 2005

Skippy's little cousin

I saw a wallaby yesterday, the first time I've ever seen a live one in this district up close. Mowing between lines of coffee trees, I swung around from the end of a row and looked over to the paddock next door, and there it was: a Swamp Wallaby (Wallabia bicolor) I think, though I'm not sure about that.

Illustration by Neville W. Cayley, Australian National Botanic Gardens.

It was bounding/leaping/springing** away, but when it got to the shelter of some long grass it stopped moving and sat up to look at me. And on the still-roaring mower, I sat up to look at it. One of us should have waved.


**If English has a good word to describe the way wallabies and kangaroos move, I can't think what it is. It needs to have a bounce-factor in it somehow, like a "boing-boing-boing" kind of thing.