Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Echidna


This is an echidna (pronounced eeKIDna) - apparently a Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus).

I found it late yesterday afternoon as it was snuggling into the ground there, half covered by sticks and leaves and assorted whatnots. It wasn't digging, just wriggling occasionally, and only seemed to be breathing now and then, as if it was scared of me towering over it and saying things like, "Oh! Look at you!!" and trying to touch its spines. Yes, very intelligent and caring behaviour on my part... I wanted to get a better look and it was scarily easy to overlook the poor thing's fear and just continue staring. They don't amble around here very often, or not that I've seen.

Anyway, I took a few photos and this crappy one was the best of them - click on it for a bigger version. I was hoping to get a better shot this morning, but alas, Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus) has moved on.

:(