Saturday, October 23, 2004

NAN-no WRY-mo

It was hot today. Hot as blazes, as my Dad would say. At lunchtime it was 37 degrees out on the verandah (in the shade) and 34 degrees here in this room.

So that means it’s time for the taste of summer: Golden Circle Fruit Cup Crush (a cordial you mix with water or, if you want to get sophisticated, water and ice).


And it’s nearly time for the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo, pronounced NAN-no WRY-mo). I’m thinking I should try it this year. The idea is that you must write 50,000 words between November 1 and 30. There’s no time to sit around agonising, you just write fast. It’s like a simultaneous free-writing session, with thousands of people around the world doing the same thing at the same time:

[from General FAQ] Art for art's sake does wonderful things to you. It makes you laugh. It makes you cry. It makes you want to take naps and go places wearing funny pants. Doing something just for the hell of it is a wonderful antidote to all the chores and "must-dos" of daily life. Writing a novel in a month is both exhilarating and stupid, and we would all do well to invite a little more spontaneous stupidity into our lives.

Are you interested? Do you want to try this? I'm thinking I should have a go. I'm thinking I should stop thinking and sign up. Yes. I will. (But.. but... but... Such a damn coward, I should be ashamed. How is this scary for heaven’s sake? But it is, and I am.) Need to find a plot and characters and .... what else is needed for a novel? Hmm... brain seems to be fogging... can’t think what’s in a novel... can’t remember ever reading a novel... what the hell is a novel?...the word “novel” is starting to seem, you know, novel...