Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Mystery

To put what follows into perspective: I've been mowing here for a few years now, and can remember finding a dead bird in the grass only once before.

But today I found three: a Tawny Frogmouth, a Galah, and an Australian Raven. The first two had been reduced to mostly feathers, bones and a mass of squirming/scurrying things feeding on their remains (in the space of a week, too, because they weren't there last time I mowed). But the last bird - the Raven - died today. Its body was still limp.

It's too weird. Finding three in one day, and of different types? At first I wondered whether they'd all been hit by cars, stumbling away to die, but as far as I could tell, they weren't injured. Maybe all the rain last week harmed them somehow? Do birds get pneumonia, say? Alternatively, maybe something poisoned them? But I think that's unlikely: they were all in different areas across about half a kilometre, and I'm guessing they wouldn't have been feeding on the same types of things anyway.

Again I say, it's too weird. Three in one day. Very strange.