Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day 2006

What do we think of Valentine's Day then, reader?

My first inclination is to say something cynical, suggesting it's all just an excuse for people to get schmaltzy.

But - stopping to think about it - so what if it IS? What's so bad about schmaltzy? It's funny, it's warm, some people like it. Where's the harm? And whatever else Valentine's Day might be, at heart (its real heart) it's the one day of the year when people around the world celebrate romantic love. That seems like a pretty good reason to celebrate.

Maybe I'm just jealous, anyway. Look at this:
My Mind has been the most discontented and restless one that ever was put into a body too small for it. I never felt my Mind repose upon anything with complete and undistracted enjoyment - upon no person but you. When you are in the room my thoughts never fly out of window: you always concentrate my whole senses.

- John Keats to Fanny Brawne in 1820.
Sigh.

So go, you happy Valentiners! The rest of us salute you (with hearts'n'kisses, balloons and chocolates). Love is good.