Thursday, October 28, 2004

NaNoWriMo.2

It was such a perfect twilight tonight. I love twilight any night, but this one was just gorgeous: a cool dry breeze bringing a pleasant smell of woodsmoke (or maybe the cane fires burning?), sun going down, moon coming up, interesting clouds across a softening sky... Actually the moon made me laugh. I’d just been thinking about how beautiful everything was, when I looked over to the eastern horizon and - as if on cue for the final scene in A Perfect Twilight - a full moon was rising. (I mean, come on, I’m not that gullible: a full moon as well?) It just made me laugh.

And in that happy tone I offer you this: “... all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.” (Julian of Norwich, c.1342-1413: Wikipedia article here) Maybe not, of course. But, maybe yes, too. Why not look on the bright side? (Look, if you’re arguing with me, please just shut up. I’m the Queen of this Empire. Kindly stand aside and let me pass or I’ll have you dealt with.)

It’s the Thursday night before the Sunday midnight (NaNoWriMo-speak) and I still have no plot, no characters, and no clue. But I do now have a cheer squad: Ernest and Piggly, two little pigs standing on top of the monitor. They don’t say much, but they’re real damn cute. And also - importantly - I now have a plastic sword with which to slay demons. It’s not just an ordinary sword, either: the handle is embossed with dragons and is decorated with a shiny purple plastic jewel. How special is that, hmm? Jealous, aren’t you?