Saturday, November 19, 2005

NaNoWriMo: 1



I just signed up to do NaNoWriMo, which is a bit surprising really. Back in October I was thinking about it, but gave up because I couldn't think of a story. I still can't think of a story, or any of those other troubling details like characters, setting, or... other stuff. I haven't let myself think about these things yet, because (a) it would have stopped me signing up, and (b) when I do look at them, it's going to scare the shit out of me.


So. Hum-de-har-de-ho-de, etc. I'm going to have to actually start writing pretty damn soon, I suppose. There are 11 days to go, and I need to write 50,000 words. Another one of those troubling details. In a minute I'll get a cup of tea and prepare myself for the shock of facing these things. But first I had to put this post up and seal my fate. I've signed up. You know about it. Time to get going.

It's not like this is something new: I did the whole thing last year. And it was a pitiful effort, too - a complete load of crap, not a story in sight. But I did manage to make 50,000 words, and it felt good to finish. This year I'm leaving it really late to start, that's all, and I didn't want to do it again unless I could do it properly, with an actual story instead of just notes.

There's a good chance that this year's effort will be even worse than last year, and usually that would stop me from trying, or even thinking about trying it. Well it DID stop me, until now. But I don't want to be like that. I am going to try this, and if it doesn't work, no real harm done. Maybe I'll learn something. Plus I've got more free time than anybody else on earth, so what's there to lose? Plus, the idea of starting this late only occurred to me about 90 minutes ago, and it seemed really funny. I rushed in and signed up straight away, before my normal self caught up with events. It's so out of character, it's going to get scary any time now.

Yes... yes... I think that might be regret I can hear marching in already. Bloody hell. Better get that cup of tea and start writing. Here goes nothing, etc.
:)