Wednesday, February 15, 2006

There are none so blind...


This is a picture of the kitchen/dining room where I live, and that's a new secondhand refrigerator on the left, trying to fit into that alcove (there's too much space to the side of it, not enough over the top). The old fridge (on the right) is sitting in the dining room, squished up against the table and chairs (out of shot to the right), which are themselves squished up against a pile of things I need to move elsewhere. The only easy way to get from this side of the room to the other side and the doorway you can see in the top right-hand corner is to walk through the gap on the left of the old fridge. The gap is 56cm wide; I lined up my boots to better illustrate the width, but they don't show up very well. The gap is quite big enough to walk through, but there's no room to spare if you're carrying anything.

The old fridge is sitting there because the removalists (ie. Dad and his ute) have been away this week, and anyway, I was going to clean it out first. That was the plan. It would have taken less than 10 minutes, or 20 if I wanted to whinge and moan about it. Not a huge effort. In fact, had I devoted perhaps one minute per day to the task, it would now have been completed.

But did I devote one minute per day to the task? Did I devote one thought per day to the task? Or did I, after the first day, and despite squeezing past the damn fridge about 50 times a day every day thereafter, just stop noticing it was even there??

I completely forgot about the thing until now. And I only noticed it today because I had to lean around the other side of it, trying to reach something on the dining room table.

???!!! Scary.